Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Thursday, April 09, 2015

Making a fluttery shirt with excess trim more my style

My sister in law trades clothes with a friend, who gave her this little number. It wasn;t her style, so she gave it to me to play with. Obviously, it had a whole lot going on, and not necessarily in a good way. 

The first step was to remove all the unflattering gathering at the waist. I unpicked all the elastic stitches from the inside of the garment.

The fluttery sleeves were made by sewing in a flap of fabric, then turning it in and stitching the lower part of the sides together. The picture below shows the original seam on the right, and the seam-ripped side seam on the left.

Once both sides were open, I had a bog poncho-shaped garment. I used a well-fitting shirt to mark where I wanted the new side seams to be, creating a t-shirt shape.

  After I sewed up both sides and under the arms, I had a cute little t-shirt. It kept the cool lace at the bib and removed a lot of the excess trim around the edges.

My final step was to give it a high-low hem. Now it is much more my style!

Thanks for reading!  


1 comment:

jennifer elliott said...

So much better! I love high-low hems. Great job.

Jennifer Elliott, EOD