Monday, April 27, 2015

Pullover to Cardigan

So winter is over and pretty soon, pullover sweaters will just not be the ticket. But a nice cardigan is always in fashion for cool nights at least. Here is a fun and easy way to update a thrift store pullover sweater into something fashionable and unique.

You will need a washable pullover sweater, a flannel men's shirt, some lace and in the sweater above, I used cuffs off of men's shirts for the bottom hem.

Decide how long you want the sweater. I cut this one down to make it cropped. Sew around the bottom to keep it from unraveling.
Cut off the front placket (button panel) from the flannel shirt. Leave about 1 1/2" to 2" on each side. Cut off the collar.
Pin the button panel to the front of the sweater. Pin the lace along the sides of the panel if you chose to add it. Sew up each side. Unbutton the panel and cut away the sweater underneath. Add the cuffs to the bottom. You can also leave the bottom just the way it is as long as you have stitched it well to prevent unraveling. If you pull it as you stay stitch it, it will ruffle a bit.

Here are a few other examples:


This one, I left the bottom ruffly and added the button part from some sleeves off a flannel shirt.





This one I just added some fun appliqued flowers cut with my Accucut die cutter. The center button panel is from a corduroy shirt. I left the hem on the sleeves and bottom of the sweater ruffly. Just pull tight when you sew the stay stitch.





You can find me at: curiousorangecat.com

Happy sewing!!

3 comments:

cfort82 said...

I love how you refashioned so many things into one more usable garment.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab

jenny_o said...

I love how you use so many different textures and pieces to create something new and unique. You've given me some ideas for old sweaters.

Bunny Henningsen said...

Thank you! They are so fun to make. Glad to give some inspiration.