NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Friday, May 08, 2015

Simple Refashion of a Boy's Shirt

Hello everyone! This is my first post as a contributer to Refashion Co-op. I have been following this blog for about a year now. All of your hard work is truly inspiring! Thank you for all that you do!

For my first refashion, I decided to do something very simple. We just recently moved to a warmer climate and found some of our clothing suddenly less useful! My husband and I happily packed up our sweaters and coats. But what about the kid's clothes? By the time we see another winter they would surely be too small!

With this in mind, I grabbed one of my son's long-sleeved shirts from his closet. He looks great in this print and it is in like-new condition, but the sleeves are long and therefore too uncomfortable to wear when the temperatures hit 90 degrees.



To begin, I placed one of his well-fitting, short-sleeved shirts on top of the refashion shirt to give me a visual guide of where I would need to cut the sleeves.


Once I determined the desired length, I measured, marked and cut each side. I gave myself ample seam allowance to turn the sleeve over twice as this kind of fabric would fray after washing.


With the shirt inside out, I made my first fold on the sleeve at about a 1/2 inch, followed by a second fold of a 1/2 inch. Instead of pinning, I pressed both of these seams while I was folding them. I find pressing seams makes sewing a breeze and also makes the garment look more finished. After pressing, I sewed the seams with the shirt inside out. 

Here is a close up of the finished sleeve.

Inside out:

Right side out:

And here is the finished product!

This project took me less than 30 minutes from start to finish, and now my baby boy will have a "brand new" shirt to wear to church on Sunday. I hope you enjoyed my simple refashion. Thank you for reading!







2 comments:

jennifer elliott said...

Welcome to the community! What a great first refashion. Very cute!

jennifer elliott said...

Kids in plaid look so adorable! Great refashion -- I look forward to more of your refashions.

Jennifer Elliott, EOD