NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Monday, June 01, 2015

Black and White and Red all over

It feels like it's been forever since I've posted a refashion, but I checked, and it's only been a month. I guess the rainy, dreary May made it seem longer.

This refashion has been a long time coming. I bought this dress at a thrift store that is no longer open, over 3 years ago. It fit like a glove, and the only change I was going to make was to shorten it by about a foot, since it was that totally-unflattering-on-me ankle length that was all the rage 20 years ago.


I never got around to hemming it before I got pregnant with my daughter. After I lost the baby weight, I tried it on, and it no longer fit like a glove. Something about having a kid changes the way you're built. ;)

After letting the dress languish in my closet some more, I decided I needed to figure out something to do to save it, because I absolutely loved the polka dots. I gave myself the deadline of Labor Day. Fortunately, a trip to the fabric store for some quilt binding gave me the inspiration I needed!

I found some cherry red piping and had my Eureka! moment. I decided to put the red piping around the neck & arm holes.

After a date with my sewing scissors & sewing machine, the dress had a new knee length hem and a more flattering V neck & back.


The beginning of the new neckline.

Black Dress, White Polka Dots, Red Piping
The back, which I'm actually very proud of, because I successfully shortened a zipper for the 1st time.

The front! I will add a photo of me wearing the dress after I get my hands on a red belt to finish the look I'm going for.

3 comments:

Refashion said...

The v-neck looks great, and I like the pop of colour from the red.

Debbie
EOD

kitblu said...

Excellent!! I need to keep this piping idea in mind. I think it would be applicable to many refashions.

jenny_o said...

What a difference! Good luck finding the belt to go with it.