NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Muu-mooove Over

Muumuus are one of my favorite things to refashion. I'll be the first to admit that I have what some may call "too many" in my pile of upcoming refashions. I can't really help myself. The polyester fabric may not breathe, but it has some of the best prints and colors.

before copyDon't I look excited?

I started by removing the sleeves, because black polyester is dangerous enough in the summer, and I didn't need to tempt heat stroke with long sleeves. Next I undid the previous owner's altered hemline. Surprising, I know, but I needed more length this time, not less.

1Un-shorten the hem.

I didn't like the original front, so I decided to switch the back to the front and the front to the back. This required a little finagling, but it worked in the end.

4
Switcheroo!

Then I finished the arms and collar.

3Finish the arms.

And I was done! All things considered, this was a pretty simple refashion. (You can see more of the how-to on my blog.) It's definitely not a good dress for daytime outdoor activities (See "heat stroke" above.) but it will be great for evenings and indoors. I love it!

after copyAnd done!

There will no doubt be more muumuus this summer, so if granny dresses are your thing, stay tuned!

- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus
Now blogging Struggling to remember to blog at www.TheHungryOctopus.com!

1 comment:

Carissa said...

I love the pattern on this dress! Turning it around to put the round collar in front makes it look a lot less muumuu-y too. Great job!

-Carissa
EOD