Saturday, June 06, 2015

REFASHION: Hello, Doctor Who!

I finally decided to use freezer paper for a few projects. Per my research, a ton of other craft bloggers use freezer paper for many projects. My turn! For my first project, I turned to a simple drawing of the Tardis, freezer paper, and bleach-water spray bottle.


freezer2

I found a simple Tardis drawing on the interweb, printed it out on paper, and taped it to a piece of freezer paper. All I really needed to do was cut out the outline of the Tardis and poke out the windows.


freezer3

After cutting out the Tardis on the freezer paper and ironing it on a blank navy blue T-shirt, I slid a cookie sheet inside the shirt to keep the bleach-water combination from seeping to the back. Once everything was in place, I lightly sprayed the top area with the bleach-water combo.


freezer45

Because I used a light mist, I didn't have to wait too long for the bleach to work its magic on the shirt. I gently pulled the freezer paper off the shirt to reveal a beautiful Tardis! It's so pretty! I turned the shirt inside out and threw it in the washing machine for a quick spin.


531.tardis

For more details and pictures, click here!

Jennifer Elliott

P.S. How many bobbins do you have on hand? I have about 12 sitting in a mug next to my sewing machine -- is that a low number? Too high? I was curious how bobbins other sewists have on hand.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't tried freezer paper yet. Guess I'll have to look into it a join the club one of these days. Very nicely done!

- Elizabeth, EOD
aka The Hungry Octopus

P.S. I have at least 12 bobbins, if not twice that. Can't have too many!

GeekyArtsyMommy said...

As a fan of Doctor Who, I heartily approve of this refashion, and am mentally sorting through my wardrobe to figure out which garment I own is worthy of a similar fate. :D

I know I have more than 12 bobbins, because I got 12 with my new sewing machine when I ordered it last year. But they're scattered all about my sewing room, so I honestly have no clue how many I actually own.

Valerie said...

Looks like it's flying among the stars! Neat!

As for bobbins, I own maybe 6 or seven, but I only actively use 3-4, One black, one white, and occasionally a miscellaneous color that I only use for important projects. I'm too lazy to wind a bobbin to match whatever thread I'm using every time, so I just use whatever is the closest similar shade.

Unknown said...

I have a small handful of bobbins, but only like 3 are in use. I seem to use black or white thread for everything... Super cute shirt btw! I may have to get crafty with bleach. ~Illy

concretenprimroses said...

Love it. Would be a great gift.
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Awesome job with the TARDIS! This Whovian approves.
I have 20-odd bobbins!! So that is probably a lot. I try to keep two full of black, white & off-white, because it's so annoying to be 2" from the end of the seam and have to stop to fill a bobbin!! The rest are various colours left from various projects, but they do eventually get used up. So they all get used, but in slow rotation :-)

Em said...

Love this! We don't have freezer paper here in New Zealand sadly, and I haven't found anything else that will do the job well enough.
I only have 3 bobbins for my main machine and 1 for my other machine! Must get more...