Saturday, June 20, 2015

Silk tunic to summer dress

I was drawn to this dress/tunic at my local thrift shop. And sure enough, it was silk. And I loved the colour.
But it was too big, and I didn't like the frill in the front.

- I removed the frill and the buttons, and sewed the buttons back on on their original place.
- I considered making the dress fitted, but I have seen a lot of clothing with a looser fit lately, and thought this dress would be a good candidate for that. So I only took it in a little at the sides.
- I elongated the pleats in the front about 10 cm (4"), to make the bodice more structured (and avoid the maternity shirt look). I took forever to pin straight!


- Lastly I managed to squeeze a narrow sash out of the scrap of frill fabric.

So while it might look like I just took the original tunic and accentuated the waist with a sash, I did do a little more ;-).
Sorry for the bad lightning
I look very much forward to wear this pretty and comfortable dress, when the weather gets warm
(it does! It must! Temperatures is still lingering around 12-15 C (53-60 F) here, and it is a tad cold in june, even for Scandinavia)

Blog: http://www.sagaifarver.dk

2 comments:

stilo casual said...

That is so pretry,and yes it takes time to do it but it's worth it!! Blessings!

Unknown said...

Lovely! The tunic makes a beautiful dress!

And I'd love to have your weather for a day or two too! It's in the high 90s (fahrenhight) here, and it's just going to get hotter as we head into summer.

- Elizabeth, EOD
aka The Hungry Octopus