NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Strapless dress to summer skirt

When dresses were 40% off at Savers recently, I scooped up this strapless number for a few dollars. It wasn't going to work for me as is, given the ill-fitting bust and the high hemline, but the pattern was so cool. And it had pockets!


I figured it was an easy fix to turn it into a skirt. I started by chopping off the top of the dress, leaving about 3 inches of fabric above the waist seam. 


I folded about an inch of the excess fabric to the inside of the skirt and pressed it . When I got the the elastic part of the waist, I had to make mini pleats to get the band to lie flat. I also cut off the excess zipper that would be folded into the new waistband, so it wouldn't get bulky there.



I folded the band over again, tucking it under the waist seam, and pressed it. 


I stitched the waistband along the bottom edge to catch the fabric under the waist seam, then stitched the sides and top edge of it. I used a stretch stitch along the elastic portions to avoid broken stitches when I put it on. A hook and eye and a few stitches at the top of the zipper will keep the zipper tab from falling off. Here's the view from the back once I finished.


And the before-and-after. Gotta love a skirt with pockets for a hot summer day!


Thanks for reading!  -Amy

4 comments:

whatthesew said...

I really like the colour palette of the skirt fabric, and your t shirt goes with it perfectly.

cfortin said...

That is very pretty fabric I am glad you were able to save it.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab

Hawk3ye said...

I love this!! And it is a great pattern.

Lovenicky said...

It looks so much better as a skirt! Great job!