Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Dress, and Wreath from Scraps

Here is an infinity dress I made years ago and only wore a couple times. (I got the idea to add a bodice from someone else.) The only problem with the dress was that the fabric I chose was 100% cotton interlock and was heavy, so that by the time I was done wrapping two pieces that were 6 feet or whatever long around myself, it felt hard to move around.  I couldn't wait to get it off.

 So I redid the top using a pattern.  I had to piece it together since those long strips weren't wide enough to make the new bodice pieces. I think it has a 40's look to it.
Then here is a project I've been planning on doing for two years now.  I cut down all my boxy oversized T-shirts and turned them into girl shirts, and just loved the colors of the scraps when they were all on the floor. 

So I cut them into more or less regular strips, ran a gathering thread down the center, and hot glued them to a wreath.  It was actually pretty time consuming, but I'm happy with the results.


Renata Laura said...

Gorgeous dress! much more wearable now!

Elizabeth Hill said...

The dress is beautiful! Such a great change.

Good job on the wreath too. I made my first wreath last Christmas, and it was surprisingly time consuming. I think I'll stick to refashions. ;)

- Elizabeth, EOD
aka The Hungry Octopus

Saga said...

I might need to do the same, I think, when looking at your pictures. I have an infinity dress that I really like, but never wear, since the traps always ends up buncing together. I can't believe I haven't thought to refashion it.
Thank you for the inspiration.