Saturday, July 25, 2015

REFASHION: the ugly skirt challenge

So, I decided to challenge myself with Skirt Fixation's UGLY Skirt Challenge, and I was sent one super ugly skirt! It was way too big, way too long, and had way too many flowers for my taste. The first thing I did was separate the two layers of the floral skirt, and the second thing was remove the elastic waistband.


With the top layer (because it was prettier and the flowers were less distorted), I cut it in half at the side seams. An old black shirred tank top served as the bottom of the potential dress after I quickly snipped off the straps. I had been meaning to do something with the black top because I love the wide shirring in the middle.


I adjusted the two strips of the former skirt into a V-neck top. From here all the details will stop because after trying the dress on a million times, I was not comfortable with it. I didn't feel pretty, and I scrutinized everything about the dress, which frustrating because I was 90% done with the dress. So, I went to Plan B -- basically, my go-to plan.


A skirt. I cut the blouse part off the former shirred tank and salvaged what I could from it. In honor of Comic-Con and all the other comic conventions, I decided to create a Steampunk-ish skirt. The former black tank served as the base of the skirt, and the floral fabric was layered around it. Honestly, I was really inspired by Curious Orange Cat's creation on The Refashion Co-op, and I figured I could try to replicate that with the floral fabric.


For more details and pictures, click here.

Jennifer Elliott


Andrea said...

Good job keeping at it even when it did't initially turn out as you thought!

Andrea EOD

jenny_o said...

I love this skirt!!