Thursday, July 02, 2015

Tambourines and Elephants

Is it just me, or does any one else think it's almost criminal how great fabrics and prints become ugly, ugly clothes? Take this shirt from the 80s... (I'm guessing it's 80s.)

before copySo much going on here.

I loved the bright, cheery elephant print fabric. The sky high shoulder pads and weird sweater-y bits? Not so much. They had to go.

1Off!

After removing the knit panel on the bottom, the shirt was way too short. To fix this, I removed the sleeves and used them to add about 4 inches to the bottom of the shirt.

3Elephants on top of elephants!

Once the bottom was lengthened and hemmed, I took the top in a little under my arms, added two darts, and reshaped the arm holes and finished them with bias tape.

4Much better!

And after lots of pinning and sewing and pressing, I had a new elephant print blouse.

After copyLoving these elephants!

This is probably my new favorite summer top. Hopefully my previous favorite doesn't get too jealous.

- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus
Now blogging Struggling to remember to blog at www.TheHungryOctopus.com!

1 comment:

jennifer elliott said...

Elephants are and always will adorable! How can you NOT pass up a print with elephants? Great idea on taking the sleeves to add length to the shirt. Great job.

Jennifer Elliott, EOD