NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Monday, August 10, 2015

Mama's got a brand new bag!

Sewing along with this week's Refashion Runway theme - Clutch, Tote Bag, or Purse - I decided I needed a new leather, fold-over messenger bag. So I pulled out this old leather jacket I got for free last year, left over from someone's garage sale. It was incredibly soft, well-loved leather, but in an extremely dated form with completely worn out elastic at the waist.

Recycled Leather Fold-Over Bag - Before

I'm also going to need a strap for my new bag, so I dug out an old leather belt (sans buckle).

Recycled Leather Fold-Over Bag - Before

I disassembled the jacket and cut my pieces out of the leather - the front and back of my bag came from the huge batwing sleeves, the sides and bottom were cut from the jacket's back, and I re-used the double-breasted panels as a top flap and outer pockets so the snaps still line up for a closure. A remnant of green fabric from a previous refashion was turned into the lining for my new bad. An awl and hammer came in handy to punch holes through the ends of the belt, and then I hand-stitched it onto the bag.

Recycled Leather Fold-Over Bag - After

As always, more details and photos can be found at CarissaKnits!

Recycled Leather Fold-Over Bag - Before & After

4 comments:

Gema Ensenat said...

That was a really clever was of using the buttons that were already in the garment, I'm always nervous of making mistakes when sewing with leather! Great bag :)

Saga said...

Beautiful!

Refashion said...

Carissa, that is a gorgeous bag! Love it

Debbie EOD

Lovenicky said...

Such an amazing transformation! Great job!