Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Saturday, September 26, 2015

upcycle a scarf to a poncho/shrug/cardi/shawl

I had crocheted poncho with buttons for my sister some months back and wish I had it myself all summer as it was rather cold in Ireland.  When I was unpacking some winter clothes, I decided to turn a long scarf I had into something similar by cutting it a bit shorter, and placing some buttons at each end and sewing buttonholes.  It worked out a lot better than I expected and already a wardrobe staple.

If its buttoned one side only, its a poncho.  If these buttons are to the front, you can button the back and it becomes a ' cardigan'.  If each end is buttoned it becomes a shrug.  and if unbuttoned, its back to a shawl.

I have photos belows of the poncho and shrug, and some more at the blog 


Elizabeth Hill said...

I love this!

- Elizabeth, EOD
aka The Hungry Octopus

Eimear Greaney said...

thank you!