Tuesday, October 20, 2015

A faux fur revamp

It's getting colder here in Scotland, and I do love a faux fur coat. There were so many things I didn't like about this coat! The photo below is before the refashioning.


There was a list of things I didn't like, the shine of the fabric, the indented chevrons, the collar shape, the shiny buttons and in fact I had already shortened the length and the sleeves.

Not being someone to fear a bit of experimentation I got the hair shears and gave it a shave, with a further bit of help from my fabric scissors. This was time consuming, hand hurting and very,very messy!!



I decided to unpick the collar and turn it into a collar and revere. I like this far more. Eventually I thought it was done, but no! The next day I decided to steam the fabric with my iron! This eliminated the shine on the fur. Now it was done!



For a more detailed report on the refashioning of, not only the restyling of the coat, but the manipulation of the faux fur fabric check my blog post here.

3 comments:

Kathy W. - One Brown Mom said...

OMG - this is AMAZING!

cfort82 said...

Fascinating! I would have never thought of that. Love the creativity and the result.

Cindy-EOD
Upcycled Design Lab

Unknown said...

Thanks. It did make an awful mess, but it was worth a shot and I'll wear it now.