NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

A faux fur revamp

It's getting colder here in Scotland, and I do love a faux fur coat. There were so many things I didn't like about this coat! The photo below is before the refashioning.


There was a list of things I didn't like, the shine of the fabric, the indented chevrons, the collar shape, the shiny buttons and in fact I had already shortened the length and the sleeves.

Not being someone to fear a bit of experimentation I got the hair shears and gave it a shave, with a further bit of help from my fabric scissors. This was time consuming, hand hurting and very,very messy!!



I decided to unpick the collar and turn it into a collar and revere. I like this far more. Eventually I thought it was done, but no! The next day I decided to steam the fabric with my iron! This eliminated the shine on the fur. Now it was done!



For a more detailed report on the refashioning of, not only the restyling of the coat, but the manipulation of the faux fur fabric check my blog post here.

3 comments:

Kathy W. said...

OMG - this is AMAZING!

cfortin said...

Fascinating! I would have never thought of that. Love the creativity and the result.

Cindy-EOD
Upcycled Design Lab

Linda Wilson said...

Thanks. It did make an awful mess, but it was worth a shot and I'll wear it now.