Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Friday, October 23, 2015

Refashioning a $4 Thrift Store Skirt into an Off The Shoulder Shirt

I’m seeing lots of off the shoulder blouses in the fashion blogs I read.  When I saw this skirt at the thrift store for $4, I knew it would make the perfect shirt.

The skirt is made of 3 tiers.  I chopped off the bottom tier, which became the top ruffle of the blouse.  The top 2 tiers became the bodice of the blouse.  I’ll be reusing the skinny belt with beads on the end.

After making armholes in the bodice, I placed the bodice inside ruffle, aligning the edges.  I made a casing and ran elastic through it.

Here's the front of the shirt.

And here's the back of the shirt.  For DIY instructions on how to refashion and upcycle a thrift store skirt into an off the shoulder shirt, check out my blog


Andrea said...

Clever you! Very cute outcome :)

Andrea EOD

therefashstash said...

Love all the ruffles!!