Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Shirt Shennangians, Part IIIA better

The final installment in the latest shirt frenzy!

A Ralph Lauren plaid for like $3? Yes please!

The usual problem of being too big and baggy. I took it in at the sides (of course) so that it still fit loose, but not shapeless. I wanted to do more to it after that, but at the same time keep that traditional red plaid feel... I am of the mind that red plaid should not be fussed with. It's glorious on it's own!

So I took a scrap and tested some fabric markers...

...And sketched out some rough stencils...

Then made some better stencils...

...Then pinned those where I wanted!

Diamonds on the sleeves

Stars on the front

Then I traced around the edges and colored them in!


I then grabbed some beads and bobs to add to the 'grunge' look. I sewed these little washers on the bottom of the button plackett

Added silver buttons on the sleeve

And these little pale gold buttons on the pack shoulders. They have a little crest on them!

A better shot of the back. I thought I had a nicer one of the front too but I guess not :/

So there you go! I ended up with a fun, funky shirt. The only reason this took me weeks to do (yikes) was because I had to hand-sew all the little accents on, and you guys know how I feel about hand sewing, so I kept stalling. It looks cool but I'm glad it's done so I can move onto the next project!

Till later


1 comment:

Carissa said...

It is definitely fun and funky! Very creative!