Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Skirt to Cape - alot of piecing togeather!

I decided to make myself a short reversible wool cape for fall. I already had purple plaid wool for one side of it, but I needed a second wool fabric for the opposite side. Wool fabric is expensive! So, rather that go spend way to much money at the fabric store, I headed to the thrift store and came home with this wool/cotton blend skirt for $3.

There appeared to be approximately 2 yards of fabric here, and it was dreamily soft. I figured there would be plenty of fabric in it for a cape. Wrong! There was no where near enough fabric to lay my patter piece out on.

Well, let me rephrase that, there was enough fabric, it just required a lot of piecing.

Eventually (after getting frustrated a few times) I got it all pieced together, and there was hardly anything left of the original skirt. But there was definitely a cape!

Although it wasn't planned, I actually really like the overall look of the pieced together cape back. I'll call this refashion a success, and it should get plenty of wear this fall (my favorite season!)!

To see a full account of how this cape came together visit my blog The Sewing Goatherd.

Alyssa, The Sewing Goatherd


Melissa Lin said...

This is one of the coolest refashions I have seen in a long time. You have completely transformed the skirt. Love the pockets in the back.

Melissa (TrevorLovesMommy)

Jennifer Elliott said...

I love the pockets in the back too! Very cute and clever. Fantastic refashion!

Jennifer Elliott, EOD

Saga said...

Awesome! Refashion of the year :-)

g.satansbraten said...

Yep, previous comments in uni-sono with mine!
Means: worth aaall the swearing and sweating!

LG, Gerlinde

jenny_o said...

I agree, very well done!

therefashstash said...

Very clever transformation! It looks so good on you!!!