Thursday, October 22, 2015

Skirt to Cape - alot of piecing togeather!

I decided to make myself a short reversible wool cape for fall. I already had purple plaid wool for one side of it, but I needed a second wool fabric for the opposite side. Wool fabric is expensive! So, rather that go spend way to much money at the fabric store, I headed to the thrift store and came home with this wool/cotton blend skirt for $3.


There appeared to be approximately 2 yards of fabric here, and it was dreamily soft. I figured there would be plenty of fabric in it for a cape. Wrong! There was no where near enough fabric to lay my patter piece out on.


Well, let me rephrase that, there was enough fabric, it just required a lot of piecing.


Eventually (after getting frustrated a few times) I got it all pieced together, and there was hardly anything left of the original skirt. But there was definitely a cape!


Although it wasn't planned, I actually really like the overall look of the pieced together cape back. I'll call this refashion a success, and it should get plenty of wear this fall (my favorite season!)!

To see a full account of how this cape came together visit my blog The Sewing Goatherd.

Alyssa, The Sewing Goatherd



6 comments:

Pivot Point Patterns said...

This is one of the coolest refashions I have seen in a long time. You have completely transformed the skirt. Love the pockets in the back.

Melissa (TrevorLovesMommy)

Jennifer Elliott said...

I love the pockets in the back too! Very cute and clever. Fantastic refashion!

Jennifer Elliott, EOD

Saga said...

Awesome! Refashion of the year :-)

g.satansbraten said...

Yep, previous comments in uni-sono with mine!
Means: worth aaall the swearing and sweating!

LG, Gerlinde

jenny_o said...

I agree, very well done!

Anonymous said...

Very clever transformation! It looks so good on you!!!