NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

XXXL Men's dress shirt to dress

At the thrift shop, I found this men's XXXL dress shirt from Eddie Bauer. It was made of a nice medium-weight fabric with a slight sheen to it, and it looked like it had never been worn. It was huge on me.


I cut it apart in the middle to make a top and a skirt, and I removed the sleeves.


I cut the ends off the sleeves to create a elbow-length puffed sleeve that would retain the original cuff and buttons.


I took the remaining sleeve fabric, cut it open, and used the widest part to create strips for my waistband.


After that, I pretty much stopped taking pictures. Sorry about that! I used a gathering stitch to take in the skirt to the right width. I used the strips cut from the sleeves to create a waistband that I attached to the skirt. I created some bust darts, then sewed up the sides of the bodice before attaching it to the skirt. Finally, I reattached the new shorter sleeves. Here's the final look.


I like how the curve on the sides of the bottom hem shows the dress's origins as a men's shirt.


The sleeves turned out so cute, with the original buttons, and I liked the back pleating, too.


And the before-and-after shot. A perfect fall dress!


Thanks for reading!  -Amy

7 comments:

jennifer elliott said...

That is AWESOME! It's the perfect fall dress! Amazing!

jenny_o said...

How cute - I love those sleeves :)

RanchHouse said...

This is perfect. Imagine the work it would take to create the details from scratch.
Mary @ RanchHouse EOD

whatthesew said...

An excellent quality refashion. I like the way you kept all the essential elements of the masculine shirt but made it feminine.

Alyssa Wesselmann said...

Love it!

Gema Ensenat said...

Great fit! Love it! :)

therefashstash said...

This is so awesome!!! Great job!!!