Monday, November 30, 2015

Come Collect Your Culottes!

Hello All!

I don't know about in the States, but here in the UK there's a thing going on for culottes at the moment, and it's not something I can get on board with - not with my behind!! It's like there's a big arrow pointing to my worst bit!


But obviously that's a great excuse to refashion up all the hand-me-downs that are appearing in the charity shops; especially when they're made from beautiful fabric like this :) I'm still tinkering with ideas, styling-wise, as I don't really gravitate towards pink satin in the winter months... black tights? Grey jumper..? What colour boots? Yeah - I'll have to play around with my new skirt to find the best match..! (any ideas gratefully received, hint hint!)


But this was so super-duper easy to do, I'll probably be doing it again. And again. Cutting through the inner leg seam, pinning back together to create one tube (as opposed to two, for the legs) - and then sewing up. I think the main thing that makes this look handmade, not homemade, is the pressing part - especially with this thick fabric. If I hadn't pressed the seams carefully, I think it could have looked...bubbly... can't think of a better word! ;)

If you'd like to read about the whole process, come visit my blog :) In the meantime, keep your fab work coming - loving all the new inspiring additions!! x

Gema xxx

8 comments:

Minnado said...

I like the skirt, maybe black jumper/sweater and black boots?

Debbie EOD

Catherine1216 said...

This turned out so well. I have a pair of pants I want to turn into a skirt. I better pop on over to your blog and check out the process.


http://buildinglifelongreaders.blogspot.com/

g.satansbraten said...


Purple as colour partner?
Have seen this often worn by a friend of mine and found it great as well.

LG, Gerlinde

TheRefashStash said...

Love the new skirt!

Gema said...

Thanks Debbie! And for the styling advice :)

Gema said...

Thank-you Catherine, really pleased you like it!

Gema said...

Purple's one of those colours for me; it either works, or drains me of all colour, making me look like a vampire...is it called having sallow skin? But it's worth a shot! Thanks!!

Gema said...

Thank-you Marisa x