Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Gandhi Tote Bag

I was recently at a clothing exchange party and scored this t-shirt. It was too tight on top and very stretched on the bottom but I loved the statement it made. I had a freebie swag bag that was not overly fashionable with a company logo. So I decided to combine the two.

I cut out the text on the front and back of the t-shirt and strategically placed it over top of the Lexen Logo on the bag. I also kept the tag from the t-shirt to place on the bottom to make it look more professional. I then pinned the pieces onto the bag and found some bright orange thread to match the text color and zig-zagged stitched it on. 

I will now wear this bag proudly with the statement from Ghandi. 

Also, after cutting out the text from the t-shirt, I still had plenty of material left over. Trying to waste as little as possible I decided to use the rest of the uber soft material to make a cover for my heat pack. A few posts ago I made a cover for my meditation eye pillow and someone made a comment about using that same process for a heat/cold pack. I happen to use mine all the time and thought that was a fantastic idea.. thank you!

This time instead of making the insertion point the centre of the cover I decided to try making it pillow case style and keeping one edge long to fold over and tuck inside, it worked well. 

This old, unwanted t-shirt will now be enjoyed as two separate items. : )



Chickie Walsh said...

I have always loved that quote. And the bag is much improved. Good job.

jennifer elliott said...

I do the same thing with the reusable grocery bags. I love covering the logos with something a little more fun and fashionable. Great job. I love the quote too!

Jennifer Elliott, EOD