NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

More of a fix than a refashion

I got this great fall dress at a thrift store. The label said it was machine-washable and dryer-safe, but...


on the first wash and dry, my dryer ate the fake leather buckle!


Everything else about the dress was great, so I set about to replace the buckle. I cut the fake leather one off and used it as a template to cut new shapes out of actual brown leather. I cut two layers for each side of the buckle.


Using a leather needle and some heavy duty thread on my sewing machine, I sewed the top layer to the bottom layer for each side of the buckle. I stopped just short of sewing all the way around, though. I cut the leather of each layer of the buckle near the hole where it attaches to the fabric. I staggered the cuts, so that a small flap of leather overlapped on the 2 layers. Then I glued a snap on those flaps, like so.


The flaps and snaps will allow me to take the buckle off for washing, so I can wash the dress with no fear of ruining the buckle. I used the existing hardware to finish the buckle. Here's how it turned out.


Then I threaded each side of the buckle through the fabric loops on the dress, snapped the ends together, and buckled it up. Here's the close-up of my new buckle.


And here's the dress! I love being able to use my sewing skills to rescue things that would otherwise be ruined! Thanks for reading.  -Amy







2 comments:

g.satansbraten said...

Great job - congrats!
... and YES I perfectly understand how it feels to be blessed with sewing skills:
My husband always says/fears in case of a divorce I might just drop eeeverything - except the sewing-machine (+ the brush cutter ;-) )!

... and a huuuuge sigh of relief for coincidental confirmation with YOUR 'fix' here, that I'm not the only one getting cranky, when non-washable materials are used in combination with items which need a frequent wash: leather on material ;i.e. cloths worn right on the skin with some decorative bits and pieces of what ever leather(y) material ^^!

... and I perfectly understand your love for the cut AND belt combination of this dress: makes something looking more sportive which can at times look rather - let's just call it diplomatically - 'opposite' ;-) ?!

LG, Gerlinde

cfortin said...

I am glad you were able to fix your dress. :-)

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab