Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Reverse-appliqué T-shirt

My last attempt at T-shirt modification (bleach dyeing) didn't go so well, but when I got this relatively well fitting T-shirt with a logo that I didn't care for, I decided it was time to try again.

This time, I tried my hand at reverse-appliquéing, which entailed cutting out the logo in the form of a whale shape, and backfilling it with a different-colored fabric. I also cut off the crew collar for a more open neckline.

It didn't turn out badly, but it was crazy difficult (Read my full blog post for the gory details on my failed attempts at using a DIY paper backing for the appliqué)!

If I were to do it again, I wouldn't make any cutouts until the appliqué is firmly attached and all seams are sewn.

 Before

After


2 comments:

cfortin said...

Cute cover up.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab

jenny_o said...

What a good idea for a logo shirt - and it turned out great. Love the whale :)