Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Reverse-appliqué T-shirt

My last attempt at T-shirt modification (bleach dyeing) didn't go so well, but when I got this relatively well fitting T-shirt with a logo that I didn't care for, I decided it was time to try again.

This time, I tried my hand at reverse-appliquéing, which entailed cutting out the logo in the form of a whale shape, and backfilling it with a different-colored fabric. I also cut off the crew collar for a more open neckline.

It didn't turn out badly, but it was crazy difficult (Read my full blog post for the gory details on my failed attempts at using a DIY paper backing for the appliqué)!

If I were to do it again, I wouldn't make any cutouts until the appliqué is firmly attached and all seams are sewn.




cfortin said...

Cute cover up.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab

jenny_o said...

What a good idea for a logo shirt - and it turned out great. Love the whale :)