Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Thursday, November 05, 2015

The Denim Skirt: It's All In The Thread

Hello Refashion Co-op. I have wanted a denim skirt for quite a while and I finally found on at a clothes swap. This will match everything and never need ironing. What more could I want?

I did some size reduction and shortened it several inches. The size was great and I didn't cut anything off before I tried it on again. I have made that mistake several times. 

I wanted the hem to look like it did when it was originally made. Regular thread doesn't look quite authentic on denim. 

To get that look I needed thicker thread. It looks so much better. I don't know if it is available everywhere but it was worth the extra trip to the store. 

Thanks for reading. For more details check I Can Work With That. Now go make something fabulous for yourself.


Ladygirl Vintage said...

I've always wanted to know what thread to use for denim -- thank you! The skirt looks great!

jennifer elliott said...

I love denim skirts too because you can dress it up or keep everything casual. My denim skirt is a good go-to pick when I'm in a hurry.

Jennifer, EOD

jenny_o said...

Good hint for making the alteration look professional! When I started hemming jeans (years ago) I couldn't figure out why my hems looked different from the original - finally realized it was the thread colour!

Chickie Walsh said...

Glad you liked this post.

Chickie Walsh said...

I just saw these posts! Tech fail. 😳

Chickie Walsh said...

Thanks Jenny_o. It took me a while to get the right thread to.