Thursday, November 05, 2015

The Denim Skirt: It's All In The Thread

Hello Refashion Co-op. I have wanted a denim skirt for quite a while and I finally found on at a clothes swap. This will match everything and never need ironing. What more could I want?


I did some size reduction and shortened it several inches. The size was great and I didn't cut anything off before I tried it on again. I have made that mistake several times. 


I wanted the hem to look like it did when it was originally made. Regular thread doesn't look quite authentic on denim. 


To get that look I needed thicker thread. It looks so much better. I don't know if it is available everywhere but it was worth the extra trip to the store. 


Thanks for reading. For more details check I Can Work With That. Now go make something fabulous for yourself.

6 comments:

Ladygirl Vintage said...

I've always wanted to know what thread to use for denim -- thank you! The skirt looks great!

jennifer elliott said...

I love denim skirts too because you can dress it up or keep everything casual. My denim skirt is a good go-to pick when I'm in a hurry.

Jennifer, EOD

jenny_o said...

Good hint for making the alteration look professional! When I started hemming jeans (years ago) I couldn't figure out why my hems looked different from the original - finally realized it was the thread colour!

I Can Work With That said...

Glad you liked this post.

I Can Work With That said...

I just saw these posts! Tech fail. 😳

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks Jenny_o. It took me a while to get the right thread to.