Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Monday, November 16, 2015

Two for One Refashion: Recycling a $10 Prom Dress into a Pleated Skirt and Cocktail Dress

I scored this $10 Jessica McClintock prom dress at the thrift store.  I liked the mermaid tail, but I didn't like it attached to the dress.  I chopped it off and made a pleated skirt with it.

I made 6 pleats and spaced them 5" apart.  I hid an invisible zipper in one of the pleats.

For the rest of the dress, I simply finished the hem.  For a step by step tutorial on how to refashion a $10 prom dress into a pleated skirt, visit my blog Trevor Loves Mommy.


Marisa Glied said...

These are absolutely beautiful! What a great find! Awesome job and I'm a little jealous ;)

jennifer elliott said...

I'm jealous too!!!/I love love love the new skirt!

Chickie Walsh said...


cfortin said...

I absolutely love the skirt! Great find and two awesome refashions.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab