Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

La Belle Femme. Or a Coin Refashioned into Jewelry!

I don't just collect vintage handbags and jewelery, and thrift and refashion clothes and shoes, I collect coins from various places where I have travelled and fashion them into jewelry.  That way I have a permanent wearable souvenir of wonderful times travelling with my family.  Here is my most recent refashion, but I will post about others I have done in up-coming posts.
First I started with a pile of coins from various countries where I have travelled, and decided on this French 10 Centime coin, with this beautiful lady's face, in which I had previously drilled two holes for a bracelet project but ended up not using because of a mistake in drilling holes in the coin.
 Unfortunately one was in the wrong place and a bit too far from the edge, but c'est la vie.  I will work with it anyways.
Then using a Dremel tool with a small abrasive head, I abraded all around the female head on one side of the coin to give it some texture and interest.
Once the abrading was done, I gathered the other things I needed for this project, two gold jump rings, a chain with a clasp, metal cutters, and two jewelry pliers; one flat and one rounded.
I cut the chain in half opposite the clasp to allow me to insert the coin.  Then I added the two jump rings to the two holes in the coin, added the chain, and I'm done.
I think this turned out very well and I am very pleased with the results.  I  have been wearing this every day since I made it.  Cheers, Michele


Saga said...

Cool. I have a collection of centimes, francs, Marks, pfennig, shilling and groschen, that I didn't remember to exchange, when you could.
Maybe I can use them for decorative purposes.

jennifer elliott said...

So lovely! What a great idea to turn foreign currency into beautiful jewelry. Great job.

Jennifer, EOD