Monday, December 07, 2015

Momma Needs a New Pair of Shoes!

I thrifted these shoes for only $6.33 after a 30% discount card.  They are espadrille style flats with faux leopard print and faux leather toe caps from Mossimo which are still on the Target website for $24.99.
image
I love them as they are except for the rope trim on the soles.
image
Luckily I had a streatchy faux leather top that I had thrifted for $4.99 a while ago but never wore because I was waiting to refashion it, but I just couldn't figure out what I wanted to do with it.  I only needed a little bit of the fabric so I cut off the bottom peplum to keep for a future refashion.
image
Then I trimmed the two back panels into four equal strips.
image
Then I applied fabric glue along the back half of the shoe at the top of the rope trim.  I glued one strip of faux leather right side along the glue with the excess pointing upwards. This will allow me to fold over the fabric and glue it down to the sole.
image
The other two strips I hemmed with a very small hem.
image
 Then I applied glue along the top of the rope trim in the front half of the shoe and glued it down with the hem covering the top of the trim.  The rest of the fabric covers the rest of the sole down to the bottom.  I used fabric pins to hold the fabric in place while the glue dries.
imageimage
Then I folded the front piece of trim into a small hem and glued it down over the join with the back piece of trim.
image
Here is the final result with the trim all attached and glued neatly down and pins removed.  Any places that the rope trim showed through I covered with black Sharpie marker.
image image
I think the shoes looks much cooler with the new trim and it finishes them off nicely. They look more like loafer slippers now. What do you think? Check out my blog at vintagethrifter51.com for more refashions. Cheers, Michele

5 comments:

g.satansbraten said...

Haaach, I'm falling backwards in awe of the effort you went through here ^^!
I'm definitely going to remember THIS to point it out to my husband when HE tends to ridicule me for doing 'too much for something not even lasting long enough to make the effort pay' = HIS opinion!

LG, Gerlinde

PS:
HE doesn't understand that sometimes 'those jobs' are at times even more for the sake of fun or the 'what else is possible and HOW'

Vintagethrifter51 said...

I agree, my husband says the same thing. What do you think of the results though, do you think it was worth it? Cheers, Michele

g.satansbraten said...

By the looks via screen from here I'd say they turned out more 'sportive-elegant' from 'casual-sportive' and might be even more useful/flexible to use now = mho.
I'm just a bit weary about the 'straw-layer' since this occasionally flattens wider with time?

Btw.: I'd recommend having a 'closer look' at the 'leather-provider'/ex-peplum-top as long as they're still fashionable; afterwards it can become 'spare part' again at your leisure ;-) ?

LG, Gerlinde
with thumbs up in admiration


Refashion said...

They look good and more winter appropriate

debbie EOD

g.satansbraten said...

Debbie, basically I agree with you concerning the 'more winter appropriate' YET there might be a 'build-in' danger now with the straw-part being covered: IF there gets any moisture underneath ....
I think I'd be too scared to use them 'all weather proof' = only mho.

LG, Gerlinde
tad on the 'worry-ward-side'; sorry