Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Skirt extender

I don't like to wear very short skirts and dresses, but I own quite a lot of such ones. So I decided to make myself a skirt extender, a half slip with a decorative edge meant to show.

I used the remnants of a jersey maxi skirt, that I refashioned and used the bottom of (I was sure, I blogged
about it, but I didn't).
Strange design right on the belly. But who cares, it wont show. I bought the skirt in Greece in 1998.
And a stretch lace remnant from a sales pile.

I simply stitched to two parts together. I cut around the lace pattern at the bottom, to give it a nice finished edge. The edges don't unravel.
I wear my most colourful tights in the pictures, so you can see the lace.

A short knitted dress without skirt extender:

And with skirt extender. I like it a lot. Practical and pretty at the same time:

The waistband folded to show less of the lace.
Because the lace part of the extender is so wide, the skirt extender can be used for a wide variety of lengths of skirts and dresses.


Valerie said...

That's a very good idea! I have way too many short dresses as well. I usually scrunch them up and wear them as tops, but sometimes they don't look very good that way. A skirt extender would be just the trick!

jennifer elliott said...

Skirt extenders are a fantastic idea. I love your lacy extender. Great job.

Jennifer, EOD