Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Snowy or Milou to the Rescue. vintagethrifter51

This refashion is inspired by my favourite sweater that I thrifted.  Someone handknit it and stitched my favourite Belgian journalist/detective across the front...Tintin.
                               image
Here is a picture the inspiration sweater of it in case you hadn't seen it on my blog.  I felt that Tintin needed his best friend Snowy.  Or Milou in the French versions of the books.
                                           image
This sweater began life as a boring V-neck sweater that I thrifted from Value Village for $4.99.  I had been on the lookout for weeks to find the right one.  I wish that the knit was bigger so that I could use bigger stitches for the pattern.  But this was the one I found.
                                        image
I first found the centre of the sweater and marked it with chalk.  Then I sketched my Milou or Snowy.
                                      image
I used this image from Google for the pattern.
                                   image
The yarn I used was also thrifted for $2.99 from Value Village.  I just followed the stitch marks on the sweater and made looped stitches to create the pattern.
                                          image
And here is the final result.  It took me about 10-12 hours to do the stitching, I know the results are not perfect, but I am very pleased with how it turned out considering it was freehand drawn and stitched. So this whole refashion only cost about $8 and a bit of work.  Well worth it in my opinion. Come check out my blog at vintagethrifter51 for other refashions.  Cheers, Michele

4 comments:

Cassandra Louise said...

That's so cute! What a clever idea. :-) x

Catherine1216 said...

You are so creative.

RanchHouse said...

Great way to express your love for these characters. Thanks for sharing.
Mary @ RanchHouse EOD

Laurinda said...

That's really impressive, duplicate stitch is hard to do! I knit & draw, but wouldn't try your fab sweater. Great job!