Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Snowy or Milou to the Rescue. vintagethrifter51

This refashion is inspired by my favourite sweater that I thrifted.  Someone handknit it and stitched my favourite Belgian journalist/detective across the front...Tintin.
Here is a picture the inspiration sweater of it in case you hadn't seen it on my blog.  I felt that Tintin needed his best friend Snowy.  Or Milou in the French versions of the books.
This sweater began life as a boring V-neck sweater that I thrifted from Value Village for $4.99.  I had been on the lookout for weeks to find the right one.  I wish that the knit was bigger so that I could use bigger stitches for the pattern.  But this was the one I found.
I first found the centre of the sweater and marked it with chalk.  Then I sketched my Milou or Snowy.
I used this image from Google for the pattern.
The yarn I used was also thrifted for $2.99 from Value Village.  I just followed the stitch marks on the sweater and made looped stitches to create the pattern.
And here is the final result.  It took me about 10-12 hours to do the stitching, I know the results are not perfect, but I am very pleased with how it turned out considering it was freehand drawn and stitched. So this whole refashion only cost about $8 and a bit of work.  Well worth it in my opinion. Come check out my blog at vintagethrifter51 for other refashions.  Cheers, Michele


Cassandra Louise said...

That's so cute! What a clever idea. :-) x

Catherine1216 said...

You are so creative.

RanchHouse said...

Great way to express your love for these characters. Thanks for sharing.
Mary @ RanchHouse EOD

Laurinda said...

That's really impressive, duplicate stitch is hard to do! I knit & draw, but wouldn't try your fab sweater. Great job!