Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Tablecloth Transformation

I found a tablecloth for $1.00 at a yard sale. I loved the thick fabric, the print, and of course the amount that was available for creations. Score!

For the first project using this fabric, I decided to make a sling bag. Admittedly this project took way longer than I anticipated. I wanted to remove the green stripes from the fabric (notice the original tablecloth and the bag end result). So I cut out the green and sewed the fabric back together in a few spots. I do love how the colors turned out in the end though. 



For the lining of the bag, I used a large red camisole top. I created a pocket on the inside lining using the bottom hem of the shirt as the top part of the pocket. 


I sewed the lining to the outside of the bag, and made a long strap to attach to the sides. Then I sewed in a thick red zipper.


I loved it as is, but since I already spent so much time on it, I decided it needed a little more detail. I used some matching purple fabric buttons to sew on to the side straps. I had six of them that I took off of an old shirt and sewed three on to each side. It just gives it a little more dimension. 


I am quite happy with the final product...


Now I just need to decide what to do with the rest of the fabric. I might make some placemats or a small entrance rug perhaps….


-alyrocco-

1 comment:

jennifer elliott said...

Wow! I admire your patience for taking out the green stripes and then resewing the fabric together. The crossbody purse looks very similar to mine. Great job.

Jennifer, EOD