Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Tablecloth Transformation

I found a tablecloth for $1.00 at a yard sale. I loved the thick fabric, the print, and of course the amount that was available for creations. Score!

For the first project using this fabric, I decided to make a sling bag. Admittedly this project took way longer than I anticipated. I wanted to remove the green stripes from the fabric (notice the original tablecloth and the bag end result). So I cut out the green and sewed the fabric back together in a few spots. I do love how the colors turned out in the end though. 

For the lining of the bag, I used a large red camisole top. I created a pocket on the inside lining using the bottom hem of the shirt as the top part of the pocket. 

I sewed the lining to the outside of the bag, and made a long strap to attach to the sides. Then I sewed in a thick red zipper.

I loved it as is, but since I already spent so much time on it, I decided it needed a little more detail. I used some matching purple fabric buttons to sew on to the side straps. I had six of them that I took off of an old shirt and sewed three on to each side. It just gives it a little more dimension. 

I am quite happy with the final product...

Now I just need to decide what to do with the rest of the fabric. I might make some placemats or a small entrance rug perhaps….


1 comment:

jennifer elliott said...

Wow! I admire your patience for taking out the green stripes and then resewing the fabric together. The crossbody purse looks very similar to mine. Great job.

Jennifer, EOD