Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Thursday, December 03, 2015

The Tale of the Corset Top

Buenos dias, Amigas!

Here for your viewing pleasure: a nifty top with a corset front that just would NOT do as-is!

Ummm okay... I THOUGHT I had before pictures. What the heck camera >:( Anyway, this top was adorable, but had some issues. The open front (where the black part is; the black is what I added and wasn't there before) was constantly wrinkling and bunching, and it had a corset-style lace up front with weird, horrible loopy string. Plus it didn't fit great in the shoulders!

The picture above was me pinning a piece of black jersey from a dreadful miniskirt into place to make this one, joined top to a) eliminate the wrinkling of the front panels and b) hopefully minimize the layering I had to do with this top before
Another view. I think I didn't pull the left side down flat, so it looks like Addie is stylishly posing with a hip out, LOL. You can kinda see the little loops that hold the corset laces

The arms were WAY too tight, so I cut away a large chunk under each one, rolled it over, and seamed. You loose a little ruffle, but it's the ruffle right under your armpit, so who cares?!
Muuuccchhhhh better!
I purchased some pink ribbon at the craft store, and used it to lace up the front. I tied a nice bow and tied the ends in knots, and dabbed a little craft glue on the knots to make sure everything holds...

Tah daaahhhh! 
Much cuter, much easier to wear, and MUCH more comfy. All the cuteness of a corset, with none of the lace-up work!

And there ya have it! Another wardrobe save by Addie and Illy! :)



jennifer elliott said...

I love adding laces to jazz up a new top. Great job.

Jennifer, EOD

Samwise J. said...

Thanks Jennifer! :)

Valerie said...


Samwise J. said...

Thanks Valerie! I wore it to work on Friday and got a few compliments!