Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

I Remade a $5 Plaid Skirt into a Cute Little Capelet

I have a weakness for plaid and fell in love with this $5 wool plaid skirt at the thrift store.  I also liked the way the skirt flared out at the bottom.  I knew this would be the perfect skirt for a cute little capelet.

I found a free capelet pattern by Thunderlilly on BurdaStyle.  I only used the lining pattern pieces as I didn't have enough fabric to make the capelet as originally designed.  To preserve the flairs of the skirt, I didn't lay out the fabric flat when I cut the pattern pieces.

Read all about how to refashion a skirt into a capelet on my blog


vintagevogue said...

That turned out great! You would never know it was a refashion.

Kathy W. said...

This is SO SMART! I LOVE this idea!

jennifer elliott said...

Wow! I think the skirt was meant to be a cute cape. Great job.

Jennifer, EOD

Marisa Glied said...

Adorable idea!