NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Throw Back Thursday: "Major OOPS! shirt"

Happy Thursday, everyone. In honor of "#TBT" I thought I'd share a refashion that's old to me but new to refashion co-op:


I bought this vintage beauty YEARS ago and loved it so much as-is I kept it for a long time before I finally refashioned it! Despite the fact it is Polyester, I gave it a dye bath hoping that if I used a LOT of dye and let it soak for HOURS it would work...

...It didn't :(
Not only did the dye not take very well, it brought out the stains (not visible before I dyed it). So, I chopped off a great deal of length.

There was still a HUGE stain on the back, so I covered it with some black lace. And it actually turned out pretty well.

I finished the hems on the sleeves (after cutting off a few inches) and finished the bottom hem.


In spite of my major OOPS/idiot moment, this ended up being a favorite of mine for a couple of years.


Happy Throw Back Thursday! And remember: Don't dye polyester, and don't give up... you can still save a garment even if you mess it up. Just use the old noodle to figure it out ;)

To see my archive post on this, visit my blog at this link.




6 comments:

Michelle Paganini said...

I agree, there is always a way to work a problem into a feature.

Marisa Glied said...

Love that black lace!!! This looks cute as a dress and the shirt!

-TheRefashStash

Andrea said...

Unfortunately, we can't always tell how a dye bath will look on certain fabrics, and they do have the annoying habit of bringing out stains that weren't previously visible :-/ However, lovely addition of lace and this is perfect a s a top! Great job!

Andrea EOD

Jan Vincent said...

I love the lace idea and would have taken it around to the front as a collar. High-low rounded the hem as well, that's just my idea ;-) Polyester NEVER Dye well, I learned the hard way..

Accidental Seamstress said...

Thanks girls. I appreciate the feedback. :)

Kathy W. said...

So cute!!!