Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Too Much of a Good Thing

After a crazy few weeks of holidays and ice/sleet/snow storms, I'm back with a refashion.

My thrift store shopping habits have changed since I started refashioning. Instead of shopping based on cut and fit, I now shop based on pattern.

A while ago I found this shirt, and I LOVED the colors and the pattern.
Aqua, black & white and zig zags. What's not to love?

After I got it home and tried it on, I realized that it was too much of a good thing. The sleeves, in particular were just too much. And the cuff that gave them some puff made me feel like Jerry Seinfeld in the puffy shirt episode.

I felt like a pirate clown wearing it!
 I took a 3XL knit dress that I had picked up to use as a fabric source. I removed the puffy sleeves from the sweater, used them as a pattern for cutting out the arm hole part of new sleeves, and cut new, longer and slimmer sleeves from the black knit dress.
This dress will probably show up in a few future refashions. There's just that much fabric in it!
Now I have a shirt that I love, love, love. No more pirate clown shirt!
It looks so much better now!


Accidental Seamstress said...

Very nice. The nod to Seinfeld's great :)

jennifer elliott said...

Love the Seinfeld reference. I agree -- the pattern is too busy. I love the replacement of the black sleeves. so much better. Great job.

Jennifer, EOD