NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Friday, January 22, 2016

Vintage Scarf Refashion

1960's scarf refashion


I have a passion for scarves, the fabric can be so dramatic because its meant to brighten up a dull outfit. Sometimes the fabric seems too good to be hidden folded around your neck - it should be taking a centre stage. I mean, look at this one which I bought for only £1 at roundabout  in Sheffield, a local charity shop.  You need to see the whole picture to appreciate it.  That's what was in my mind with my latest refashion.

The label revealed it was a circa 1960's St Michael Rayon Satin fabric, made in Italy.


The second component of the refashion was a plain pale blue long sleeved top also from Marks and Spencer but from their modern Autograph range, and I bought it from traid in Brixton for £2.  This shop normally sits at the upper end of the charity market selling vintage and higher end items at what I consider to be high prices, but they were having a sale and it looked like they had pulled out a number of less trendy items from the back of the shop and were flogging them off cheap.




This top was made of 85% cotton, 15% silk fabric which was very thin and stretchy and the neck binding was a nice organza strip.

My idea, put simply, was to sew the scarf onto the front of the top in a flattering, stomach hiding (I wish) draped way.

I don't really like interfering with a vintage item, but there was a small hole in this scarf.


I had actually worn it as a scarf a couple of times as well,  before re-directing it to refashion.

The t-shirt fabric was thin and stretchy, the scarf fabric was silky, slippery and shiny and had no stretch whatsoever, so I had to find a way of combining the two which would work for both.

I spent a whole evening pinning tacking and trying on -  a dress form would have come in really handy.

In the end I just had to start sewing.

I added some pleats  and darts at the lower end of the sides, an idea copied from a top I already have.  The theory was to add drape. I kept using my seam ripper to hold everything flat and in place as I was sewing along.

 

I didn't cut the scarf at any point, instead I folded it over, mainly because I was worried about fraying, but I doubt you could deconstruct this top and wear the scarf again.

Here's the finished article.


I left the armpit to neck section open to allow for stretch and movement in the base top.  I quite like the way it looks a bit like a strappy top with a shrug. 

I have got a blog featuring this re-fashion here but I've put I decided I'd go for a full detail post on refashion co-op so there's not much point in heading over there unless you're interested in previous posts.

1 comment: