Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Tuesday, January 05, 2016

What are you doing mom's birthday?

I'll tell you what I'm NOT doing on my mom's birthday...

Wearing this!
I made a couple of amputations to make this decent...

The lining was in good shape so I made that the main body of my new shirt. I'm going to use the sparkly fabric as accent on the yoke/sleeves.

I used a favorite shirt of mine as a template for this. (Some trimming was in order as lining fabric is wider than sequined fabric). I used a serger to clean up the seams and to sew the lining to the sequins.

Right Sides together, pin and Serge ;)
I cleaned up the remaining raw edges, adjusted the fit here and there... and voila.

Now my outfit is more appropriate for mom's Birthday, which just-so-happens to be New Year's Eve :)

Cold shoulder detail

Happy New Year!

And Happy Refashioning :)
~ Laura

For full tutorial, feel free to see my blog post.


Melissa Lin said...

Awesome save. You made a special occasion dress into a great item that can be worn everyday. I may need to copy this project.

Chickie Walsh said...

Great shirt.

cfortin said...

Love the transformation!

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab

Catherine1216 said...

This turned out so cute. I love it.

Samwise J. said...

Super cute! My mother-in-law's birthday is also NYE... Guess we know some awesome new years ladies! :)

Lillian Ortiz said...

hi! random blogger here who Stumbled upon your blog! it is AWESOME! great job with the shirt! your creations/remodels are impressive! and happy birthday mom wahoo!

irinka said...

Very cute!!!

Accidental Seamstress said...

Wow. Thank you so much, everybody. Looks like I'll be checking out some great new blogs too. You guys are awesome :)

Marisa Glied said...

That is such a great transformation!!! I still can't believe how awesome this turned out! You rocked it!!!