Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Keepin' it vintage: 60s dress into a different 60s dress

I wonder if people look at some of my refashions and ask themselves, "That's the after?" I may have re-done this dress but I didn't exactly update it decades-wise. What was a too-big, mod, 60's dress is now a...well, more of a late 60's dress, no longer "mod" and it fits better.
It's a big polyester thing with an unusual large collar and strips of fabric across the chest and back. I liked the idea of a big collar, but not that Star Trek looking thing. I made some cuts.
I cut that front collar right up the middle from the point. I got rid of strips, de-pouffed the sleeves, and took it in a tad. I don't know how to add an elastic waist where there is none. I mean, I've seen tutorials but I like easy fixes. Like belts. Here's the big finish:

In my blog post, I wrote about possibly killing the sleeves. We'll see. Feel free to check out the full post on my blog Craft, Thrift, or Die.


Saga said...

Definitely a lot more wearable now. Good job.

Marisa Glied said...

Oh I love it! I love how you split the collar in the front! Super cute!


cfortin said...

Great refashion. I love the change you made to the collar.

Cindy - Upcycled Design Lab

Andrea said...

Nice changes on this piece! Apparently it made an impression because I dreamt the same night that I read this that I had an identical dress in ivory!

Andrea EOD