Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Monday, February 08, 2016

recutting some cashmere

I have had these trousers for so so so long and truth is, I was afraid to cut them in case I messed up.   I bought the trousers on ebay, and they were too big on the waist and too wide to be flattering on the ankle (wish  I had longer legs sometimes).  

 The one part of the recut that can go wrong, is if something goes off grain, so when I thought it through, I figured I would baste stitch up the crease of the pants as they were on the straight grain, and would work as my selvage guide.

I had a few patterns to consider, but as usual, what you plan and the amount of fabric you get are often miles apart, so I drafted a new pattern which matched the cut better of the original, and cut away.  I pretty much mimicked the previous construction, and ultimately I have a pair of wearable trousers (after 3 years)

I have done very little sewing and remakes so far this year.... this was the first, more to come soon I hope!

1 comment:

cfortin said...

Glad you found the courage for your project. I have been intimidated by projects myself sometimes.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab