Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Sunday, February 07, 2016

Spiderman-girl costume

My niece had asked me to make her a Spiderman-girl costume (not Spidergirl, Spiderman-girl) for fastelavn *.
For the costume I used this shirt, a pair of blue leggins, blÄ and red tulle and spiderweb-fleece fabric.

I cut the sleeves from the body of the shirt and repaced the blue body with spiderweb fabric. I mad legwarmers and fingerless gloves out of the fleece also.
The tutu is made like the rainbow glitter skirt, I made for her sister: Easy tutu
From remnants of red tulle and spiderweb fabric I made a hairband with a bow.

The costumes is just like the imaged it. Yay! :-D

* Fastelavn, which is celebrated in Denmark and the Germanic countries. In short it is tecnically the
same as carnival: The day before the 40 day fasting before easter starts (well used to start, no one do it these days). It used to be a day, where people drank and ate and partied like crazy.
Today it is mostly a children's celebration.
In short it is much like halloween, just without the scary stuff. They dress up, make fastelavn decorations and go trick and treating. They a destroy a barrel full of candy with a wooden bat, and two ones who respectively destroy the bottom of the barrel and the last board, gets chosen as cat king and cat queen.
Fastelavn is a smelting pot of catholic traditions (which we not longer are), heathen fertility traditions and modern ones.


kitblu said...

I am very fond of spiders. I wouldn't mind one of these costumes myself.
Your niece looks quite charming.

Carissa said...

I do believe that is the best Spiderman-girl I've ever seen! Great job! :)


Marisa Glied said...

Super cute! Love this!