Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Monday, March 21, 2016

I've got connections

Because I like my refashions to be mostly simple and quick jobs, I find myself subtracting more often than adding things to a garment. But, hey look! I connected two pieces of clothing to each other! (Sarcastic clapping)
I started with a boring blue dress and then added parts of a striped shirt, specifically the sleeves. If you like fail moments, you're gonna love this:
I sewed one of the sleeves on correctly and the other one inside out. Meh, it happens, not a big deal, just get the seam ripper. After ripping said seams, I reattached. I did it again. I sewed the sleeve on inside out twice.
It's obviously destined to be like that, so that's how it's gonna stay and I will learn to like it. At that point, I figured that I may as well make a wonky asymmetric belt to go with it.
Make two sashes. Connect them into one mismatched, mis-sized sash. Here's the finale:
Thanks for looking! For the full post in all its glory, check out my blog Craft, Thrift, or Die.


RePurposeFul said...

Don't misunderstand, but I laughed right out loud about the sleeve going in inside out! I do that kind of thing all the time, and it's so aggravating!!! I feel like I spend a 1/4 of my time with my seam ripper! hahaha
That said, I really like your refashion... not too involved, but a great final product. Great job :)

jennifer elliott said...

I agree! I find myself addressing stuff wrong and cursing out loud when I realize my mistake. Great refashion.

Joy C said...

Love the striped sleeves and belt! I just did the inside out thing last week with a costume for a play. :)

g.satansbraten said...

... ;-) bet quite some so called 'New Fashion Ideas' originally startet even off with mistakes of already 'dare-devilish-playfull ones' - just as some cooked dishes probably 'coincidentally' got invented due to either mistakes, lack or even over-surplus of goods.
Sorry, joining into the 'giggle-chorus' BUT with both 'hi5 hands' = welcome in 'The Club' !

LG, Gerlinde
loves the idea of the refash - especially since it's at times hard to get some dresses with sleeves at all out here :-o !

cfortin said...

Anybody that sews knows their seam ripper is almost as important as their sewing machine. :-) Nice refashion.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab

college district said...

I like this post! Thank you for sharing an awesome fashion idea. I love your dress!

About Me

Marisa Glied said...

Looks amazing!