I found these items in two charity shops. The shirt is a man's 100 percent cotton shirt from 'Animal' and the curtain is 100 percent polyester and from 'Ikea'.
I decided I wanted to make a party dress with a fitted strapless bodice. The back of the shirt was enough for the centre front of the bodice and, as the bodice I was making had princess seams, the rest of the bodice pieces were easy to fit onto the shirt front and sleeves.
The finished dress front.
The finished dress back.
I had initially intended to use the original shirt collar for the bodice band, but upon inspection it was quite worn and wasn't quite long enough to be caught in the side seam.
Luckily I had enough leftover fabric and was even able to line it up so that the stripes went along uniformly.
This is the dress inside out to show you the lining. I managed to avoid hemming the lining by using the selvage edge on the bottom... luckily my calculations as to length worked out for me this time!
The before and after shot. There is a bit more information on my blog, but it is mainly ramblings about wrestling with polyester!