However the damage to the underarm area, on both sides was pretty disgusting! So I eventually decided it had to go. My daughter wouldn't wear it as it was, nor would I and it was actually a bit too big... luckily!
I had to reuse the waistband and buckle, because the buckle was particularly pretty. I cut of the sleeves and the offending underarm pieces and reshaped the side seams.
This is the before.
And the after. I reused the waistband and made it into a self fabric belt so that I could keep the pretty buckle. I reused the buttons. If it ever gets warm enough, I'm looking forward to wearing this top.