Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Boob Job #2 - Refashion FBA - Bodice side gussets

Another former refashion, that had become too little in the chest area.
When it still fit me:

I ripped it open in both sides with my seam ripper, approximately 10 cm (4") down.

I interted a piece of lace elastic, the same kind I used for the Grey dress.You can use a piece of matching or contrasting fabric, but I like the lace elastic of (at least) two reasons:
It makes the final result look on purpose, like the dress was always like that. With a fabric insert the result can look patchy or hippie-like, which is not my style.
And as the lace elastic is...elastic, it is a good helper in getting a good fit.

Now room for more in the bodice.

By the way, I also "refashioned" my dress from. I couldn't adjust it to match my new measurements, because I have quite a large difference between bust and underbust. I adjusted the dress form, so the underbust measurement was correct, and put a bra on "Linda", stuffed to match my bust measurement.


g.satansbraten said...

Thumbs up - nice rescue.

And yes I was thinking of 'adjusting dress form' as well, since I vaguely remembered having glimpsed one in your 'sewing paradise' .
The only thing I don't like with elastic lace as side inserts: the 'look through' if one wears a bra.
I think, I'd rather prefer 'patchwork-optic-risk' and try to incorporate more of the 'patch-version' elsewhere on the garment to try to make it look more 'tied together'/less patchwork'.

LG, Gerlinde

Carissa said...

Nice save! The elastic lace inserts look like they were always there!


Jean said...

I was just wondering if you are putting the elastic into both sides? Just a thought to make it look like it was made that way to begin with.