Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Meat and potatoes

I bought this blouse for £3 in a charity shop

I had read some advice from a fashion expert which was 70% of your wardrobe should be 'meat and potatoes'.  I realised most of my wardrobe was puddings and gravy so that's why I bought this blouse, to start to redress the balance, but also with a refashion in mind.

Here is the other element of the refashion

The plan was to use the doily as a lace insert to the back of the blouse, this would also add a bit of give and improve the fit.

I deliberated exactly where to add the doily to minimise the bra strap and flesh on view.

Doilies are so beautifully old fashioned and often languish unloved in charity shops.

I cut a hole in the back of the blouse using a side plate as a template and added the doily to fill the gap

I used one layer of hand sewing and one layer of machine sewing for the attachment.

I also added a pop of colour in the sleeves

Here is the finished blouse

More info, photos and words here


jennifer elliott said...

That's really cute!

RePurposeFul said...

Meat and potatoes... love it! :)

g.satansbraten said...

Very good result.
'Meat and potatoes' makes me think and check for own 'puddings & Co.' !

Loving greetings,

cfortin said...

What a fun idea. It looks lovely.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab

Marisa Glied said...

Aww I love it! So simple but so cute!