Monday, May 23, 2016

That Dress Used to be a Shower Curtain?!

Hello all you Refashion lovers!  Today’s post really proves that you can Upcycle just about anything into eco-friendly, trendy and fun clothing!
Yes, you read the title correctly; I started with a thrifted Shower Curtain:)   When I saw it in the store, the fringed valance really caught my eye… so, this project starts with cutting off that funky fringed valance!


I knew I wanted to have a lavender tier next, so I went through my T shirt stash, and found one… then cut off the bottom 14″… as you can see, I cut it on a diagonal and sewed it up, because I wanted to have a bit of a dip in the back… you’ll see how it comes together in a few more steps :)

Now I had to decide what color I wanted for the top of my dress…. oh, decisions… decisions….


 Some of you may disagree, but I selected the light blue one from J Crew...  I just liked the way it looked next to the lavender… I cut the bottom half-ish off of the tank...



 
Then I pinned my two pieces together, and sewed it up with a zigzag stitch so it could stretch.



 And here you have how that looked… see how that “dip” is working?




 The next thing I had to do was to gather the top edge of my shower curtain valance so that it would fit right with the bottom of the lavender section… so I measured, gathered, and sewed them together! Woo Hoo, it’s getting there!





 Here’s what I’ve got so far:




 Now, if you know me at all, you know that I can’t just leave it at that. hahaha …  I had to embellish it somehow… I decided to make – you guessed it — a fabric “flower”! … and sew it to a safety pin so it could be used wherever it was needed :)  I finished it with an adorable vintage sunflower button…





So here you have it… my new Shower Curtain Creation :)  This was fun!!!  And I’m really liking the little dip in the back!

 

3 comments:

g.satansbraten said...

Nothing against the colours and pattern of the former shower curtain, yet I'd been probably wayyy more rampant with the curtain-material: bust frill underlaid with it; straps and/or belt (giggle)
But hey, this could be just a way of a 'very grown up' occasionally getting a thrill of: a multi-coloured frill and more, since cloths are some of the only things one can 'push forward' to fun style - humans not ;-)!

LG, Gerlinde

PS: You're lucky, you've found the thing before I had found it!

Refashion said...

The dress looks great and really fun for the summer. I like the use of the frilled curtain. It also means you didn't have to hem!

Debbie EOD

TheRefashStash said...

Oh wow! Super cute! Love all the colors together!

-TheRefashStash