NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Last minute bedsheet cape

I'll keep this short. It was superhero day at my elementary school and I decided to make my own...but I didn't want to take a lot of time.
There's a sheet and a little girls sized Hello Kitty shirt. I was a Hello Kitty themed heroine because this character was my sidekick during the school year, as she helped me win over and teach a certain little student. Couldn't have done it without you, Kitty!
I used a very simple method for cape-making. You can probably tell from that picture where it's going. It was a no-sew; scissors, safety pins, and tape were my tools.
I cut Kitty and some designs from the shirt and laid them out on the cape. It was getting late and I needed my sleep because it was a school night. Instead of carefully sewing around those cut-outs, I attached them with safety pins like a punk rocker would do to a denim jacket/vest.
I'm a little Clark Kent in this pic. I wear glasses, so unfortunately neither the mask that I made from the sheet's remnants or the one seen in that picture could actually be worn like a mask. Cute headband, right?
If you decide to read the full post on my blog Craft, Thrift, or Die, I should tell you that the post is mostly a story about meeting a wonderful child and then I show off the costume at the end.
Thanks for looking and clicking!

3 comments:

RePurposeFul said...

Love the feel of this post. And the Cape is adorable :)

jennifer elliott said...

I love it! I love Hello Kitty, and now I want to be a Hello Kitty superhero! Great job!

Jennifer, EOD

Chickie Walsh said...

Nice cape and a really sweet story.