Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Tablecloth skirt

Hello, HoffiCoffi here!


I purchased this tablecloth a while ago in the hope that it was damaged enough for me to make into a skirt!  If it was in perfect condition it would have been too nice for me to cut up. :)


Look at those little birds on the border!

Luckily, on inspecting it at home I discovered a stain that made it less usable as a tablecloth - but luckily it was in just the right place for me to hide in the side seam of a skirt.

 

I calculated my waist radius to cut out of the centre of the skirt....


... and cut from this circle, through the stain and down to the hem to make a side seam.

Although it may not surprise some of you that I managed to make this less straightforward than it should have been, I managed to make another of my much loved cutting errors and ended up with a waistline too big!  Anyway, once I had sorted that I inserted a side lapped zip with a placket and drafted a waistband in which I inserted a length of grosgrain ribbon to give it more structure.  


All's well that ends well.  If you want further details of my stupidity in making this it's on my blog.

7 comments:

whatthesew said...

What a beautiful skirt, the fabric is a delight, too unusual to be hidden away in the house as a tablecloth.

Unknown said...

Love the fabric! So. cute.

I Can Work With That said...

That is so pretty! Great job.

Heidi said...

Love it. I will have to try that "much loved error" perspective. I reiestedly cut t shirt armholes too big and I do not layer under the tee!!

jennifer elliott said...

I love this fun skirt! So cute and fun. I make errors all the time usually due to numbers. I hate math. Great job.

Jennifer, EOD

Erica Moody said...

You had me as soon as I saw the swallows on that table cloth. Awesome skirt.

TheRefashStash said...

I'm dying, I love this so much! I am so jealous!!! What a good idea!

-TheRefashStash