Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Tablecloth skirt

Hello, HoffiCoffi here!

I purchased this tablecloth a while ago in the hope that it was damaged enough for me to make into a skirt!  If it was in perfect condition it would have been too nice for me to cut up. :)

Look at those little birds on the border!

Luckily, on inspecting it at home I discovered a stain that made it less usable as a tablecloth - but luckily it was in just the right place for me to hide in the side seam of a skirt.


I calculated my waist radius to cut out of the centre of the skirt....

... and cut from this circle, through the stain and down to the hem to make a side seam.

Although it may not surprise some of you that I managed to make this less straightforward than it should have been, I managed to make another of my much loved cutting errors and ended up with a waistline too big!  Anyway, once I had sorted that I inserted a side lapped zip with a placket and drafted a waistband in which I inserted a length of grosgrain ribbon to give it more structure.  

All's well that ends well.  If you want further details of my stupidity in making this it's on my blog.


whatthesew said...

What a beautiful skirt, the fabric is a delight, too unusual to be hidden away in the house as a tablecloth.

Accidental Seamstress said...

Love the fabric! So. cute.

Chickie Walsh said...

That is so pretty! Great job.

Heidi said...

Love it. I will have to try that "much loved error" perspective. I reiestedly cut t shirt armholes too big and I do not layer under the tee!!

jennifer elliott said...

I love this fun skirt! So cute and fun. I make errors all the time usually due to numbers. I hate math. Great job.

Jennifer, EOD

Erica Moody said...

You had me as soon as I saw the swallows on that table cloth. Awesome skirt.

Marisa Glied said...

I'm dying, I love this so much! I am so jealous!!! What a good idea!