I purchased this tablecloth a while ago in the hope that it was damaged enough for me to make into a skirt! If it was in perfect condition it would have been too nice for me to cut up. :)
Look at those little birds on the border!
Luckily, on inspecting it at home I discovered a stain that made it less usable as a tablecloth - but luckily it was in just the right place for me to hide in the side seam of a skirt.
I calculated my waist radius to cut out of the centre of the skirt....
... and cut from this circle, through the stain and down to the hem to make a side seam.
Although it may not surprise some of you that I managed to make this less straightforward than it should have been, I managed to make another of my much loved cutting errors and ended up with a waistline too big! Anyway, once I had sorted that I inserted a side lapped zip with a placket and drafted a waistband in which I inserted a length of grosgrain ribbon to give it more structure.
All's well that ends well. If you want further details of my stupidity in making this it's on my blog.