Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Monday, July 25, 2016

From a maxidress to ... a better maxidress

I found this maxidress at the thrift shop recently. I knew the top would be, let's say, immodest on me, but I loved the colors and the pattern. So of course, I bought it to refashion it.

I chopped off the skirt of the maxidress just above the waist line. I took a plain white t-shirt that fit me well and cut a few inches off the bottom of that. Then I put the t-shirt inside the skirt, right sides together. I was going to match up the raw edges, but the parts fit together better around the waistline with the skirt up a little from the end of the shirt. Once I had the top and skirt nicely matched up, I stitched around the waistline with a straight stretch stitch.

After that, I serged the raw edge and my new dress was ready to go.

The skirt is a lightweight, t-shirt cotton, so the whole thing is cool and comfy even on very hot days.

Thanks for reading! -Amy


Chickie Walsh said...

I like it. Those little halter tops don't work on me either. Nice solution.

Refashion said...

Oooh that makes a lovely summer dress.