NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Simplification

This thrift shop hung lonely on its hanger in my closet. I bypassed it many times. It just felt, well too much like belonging to another culture than mine (which is Scandinavian).
 

So I decided to simplify the dress.
I cut the bottom edge off all the way round, and seamed the lower edge.
Sorry for the blur

I then cut the very high neckline open, where the to pieces of the neckline had been joined, and seamed the raw edges.

I feel much better in it now. And now, just today, we finally got summery weather (in my book meaning above 25 C (77 F) and not raining).This dress was just right for that.

I tried adding a belt. Very boheme, I think.

I didn't want the cut off edge with its beautiful colors and gold embroidery to go to waste. I folded the fabric so the green part became the wrong side and sewed all the way around the edges of the, now, scarf.



3 comments:

Chickie Walsh said...

I love how you opened the neckline and saved the scarf too. It's a really cute dress, I like the "simple" version.

whatthesew said...

I like the dress both before and after but now you have a bonus scarf as well.

jennifer elliott said...

Great save!!! I love the dress with the skinny belt. Very fashionable.

Jennifer, EOD