Thursday, July 21, 2016

The Difficult Skirt to Shirt

Hello Refashion Co-op. How is your sewing going? I thought this skirt would make a great and easy transition to a shirt. I was wrong. It is the most delicate cotton I have ever seen and it was very difficult to work with. I assumed cotton would be easy and I was so wrong.


I began by cutting off the waistband. That part was easy enough.


I used my dress form to flip it upside down and pin the shoulders together. The fabric didn't want to drape or stay pinned together. My sewing machine didn't seem to be able to handle this fabric. I should have used some hem tape on the side seams, it kept getting caught in the machine and it was annoying.


I used the waistband to finish the bottom of the shirt. It helped give it some shape and was an easy end to this project. I really do like the colors and the pattern so it wasn't all bad.


Thanks for reading and for more pictures and details go to I Can Work With That.

8 comments:

Sandy said...

Looks good!
Sometimes you have to use a real small needle for this kind of fabric...60/8 or 70/10. Or use something like tissue under the seam as you sew to keep the fabric from getting eaten. Then run a needle along the perforations on the tissue to break the tissue so you can pull it off.
Sandy in the UK

I Can Work With That said...

Good thinking Sandy. I should have done something, I don't know why I didn't think of it in the middle of the project.

bahnwärterin said...

very chic shirt out of a questionable skirt ;-)
sorry for the hassle with the fabric - but next time it will go better!
my latest work was new button plackets on 2 shirts from my husband - how he managed to ripp them? - i have no idea! :-)
xxxx

jennifer elliott said...

I don't know why but I don't like the pattern as a skirt, but the patterns looks just perfect as a cute summer top. Great refashion.

Jennifer, EOD

. said...

This is perfect. I would of done the same thing!

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks ladies. I like the fabric better in small doses and spread flat rather than gathered Jennifer. I'm not sure why either. It was a lot of pattern going on.

Gema said...

That's exactly what I thought! Now it looks fabulous on you! :)

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks Gema!