NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Monday, August 15, 2016

"In my former life...I was a pair of jeans!"

So happy to be taking part in Portia’s  the refashioners2016. The challenge is to refashion jeans into other clothing/accessories.
For my first try, I grabbed a pair of my son’s jeans, rescuing them from his Goodwill donation bag. I often sneak jeans from his giveaways, and stash them away for a project. I generally prefer skirts to pants, and like the casual look of denim skirts, great to wear with flat sneakers and T-shirts ( I don’t lead a very “dressed-up” life).

As I spread the jeans out, it struck me that the inside leg curve could be flipped upside down to form a side seam flare. I wanted to try something different from adding a triangle at centre front and centre back to add flare.

Two legs joined together were not going to be enough to wrap around my hips, so I kept cutting pieces, and pinning them together on myself until it fit. The only extra piece of fabric I added was a scrap from my stash to make the button strip on the left front.
When cutting the outside seams open, I saved the seam allowances, thinking they might come in handy as a trim. Sure enough, I ended up using them down the front.
The skirt was a little shorter than I like so I didn’t want to turn it up, and I didn’t have enough scraps to make a border, so I just stitched a couple of lines, washed it, and frayed the hem.
Full details on the blog here





1 comment:

jennifer elliott said...

I love the skirt! You did a fabulous job. If I had my way, I would wear sweatpants and a tee all day every day. But I don't mind wearing skirts every now and then.

Jennifer, EOD